Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me

 
Happy Birthday to Me! I have always loved my birthday or should I say my birth-date? I actually love the date. August 31st. It is a unique date.
We had an assignment in 4th grade to find someone famous who shared our birthday. I had to use Michael Jackson, whose birthday is actually on August 29th, because nobody famous shared a birthday with me. Our only resource for looking up the famous person was a book, a single book, in our tiny elementary library. These days we have Google. Google shows a few famous people share my date, but still…just a few. Love the uniqueness of a birthday on the 31st of August.
This year, I turned 37. It wasn’t painful at all.  31 was painful because I was officially IN my 30’s, 35 was painful because I had to hear from the OB-GYN all about “Advanced Maternal Age”, but 37…it ain’t no thang at all. 
I usually get nostalgic and even a little anxious on my birthday. Like I need to apply the brakes on this run away rig. This year it’s fine though and I think I owe credit to a fellow blogger.
Lisa, at My So Called Glamorous Life, wrote about the changing seasons of life this week. Something she said, has been rolling around in my head the past couple of days. “Everyone’s life goes through a change of seasons: the glorious Springtime of our youth, the bountiful harvest of Summer, beautiful transition of Fall and the peaceful stillness of Winter.”

I’ve reflected on her statement and am so thankful to be in the bountiful harvest of Summer.  At 37, I think I’ve still got a few years of Summer left and already I have such a bounty. My spouse, my children and I are happy & healthy in mind, body & spirit.
Indeed, it is a Happy Birthday to Me.
 
Photo credit:  Birthday Cake by Will Clayton

2 comments:

  1. "It ain't no thang at all." I like that! I really enjoyed being 37 and I hope that you do, too.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be 37 again! But you know I think I would stay right where I am at 51 :) Hope you had a great birthday - love what you are thankful for!

    ReplyDelete